Cloud Engineer (Level II or Level III)
Our client is looking for a strong Level II or Level III Cloud Engineer to join their team. This is a remote position, but candidates must be within driving distance to Sacramento to attend a few meetings each month.
Under general direction, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing Cloud Engineering duties such as Cloud readiness assessments, AWS architecture design, system evaluation, system analysis, AWS Infrastructure Operations, Optimization and Maintenance, Change and Configuration Management Support, Release, Control and Validation of Cloud Infrastructure Deployment and Migration and infrastructure assessment. The cloud engineer shall perform duties on tasks that require expertise in AWS/Azure/system/processor architecture, client/server architecture, operating systems, software applications, network protocols, routers, switches, remote access servers, and firewalls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain AWS Cloud Infrastructure in Optimal Configuration from both technical and budgetary perspectives
- Provide Functional Escalation Support and Expertise to the Incident Management Processes involving AWS Infrastructure or related issues
- Provide input and guidance to Personnel and JHC Cloud Architects/SMEs to the overall AWS Architecture and Design tenets
- Compose and leverage AWS CloudFormation Templates for utilization, to ensure repeatable, sustainable AWS infrastructure is effectively managed
- Deploy, test and document development, pre-production, and production environments
- Train and mentor Junior Administrators and Engineers
- Create Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) resources such as subnets, network access control lists, and security groups
- Backup cloud and on-premise resources, including in a hybrid environment
- Leverage resource tagging to allocate costs and optimize resource planning
- Create gold images / AMIs and employ auto scaling
- Assist in preparing cost analysis based on expected usage
- Configure multi-factor authentication on virtual and hardware devices
- Create IAM users and groups
- Maintain availability of critical AWS Cloud infrastructure. To include configuration changes to AWS Cloud Services (UACS) shared services, adhere to compliance requirements, PVT, PROD environments as approved and directed.
- Improve operational capabilities of UACS enterprise infrastructure as approved and directed.
- Maintain availability of production systems deployed into AWS managed area that are not covered in Project-Related Configuration Support or Prototype Configuration Support.
- Communication, including responding to C3, Alert distributions, support team requests, system business area requests, ESSD requests within 30 minutes of receipt, during business hours.
- Investigating reported and suspected outage issues, documenting issue, resolution, maintaining knowledge base of known issues.
- Review and enhance Operational Service Plans (OSPs), Run books, known issues knowledge bases, log defects.
- Minimum Education: II & III - B.A. or B.S. degree in related discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum Years of Experience: II – Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience cloud engineering with 5+ years in overall technical engineering, III – Must have minimum of 4 years of experience in Cloud Engineering with 7+ years in overall technical engineering
- II – Must have AWS Associate – Level Certification; III – Must have AWS Professional-Level Certification
- US Citizenship
- Experience documenting technical requirements
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient at multi-tasking and proactive in work responsibilities
- Superior attention to detail
- Passion for providing great customer service
- AWS or Microsoft Cloud Certification desired for all personnel
- At least 1 year in enterprise cloud deployments desired
- At least 2 years development experience desired
- Ability to pass a federal government background investigation
- Advanced troubleshooting skills
- Capability in architecture design, system evaluation, system analysis, and infrastructure assessment
- Be proficient in scripting image deployment and bootstrapping
- Experience with AWS CloudWatch and other automation services
- Strong background in Microsoft based applications
- Maintain account documentation, such as architecture diagrams and portal links.
- Experience in a 24/7 production environment
- Excellent communication, prioritization, and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-intensity, Agile Scrum team work environment and exhibit flexibility as innovation is implemented.
- Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive product improvement