Junior Backup Administrator w/CommVault
This is a direct hire position with a client in Columbia, MD. This position is junior or junior to mid level in experience.
The primary function of this position is to be the first-level support for Managed Services customers’ backup/recovery environments, most of whom use CommVault as their enterprise backup solution. Candidate must be a quick learner, be self-motivated, and be able to balance multiple simultaneous tasks. This role requires a range of technical skills in various areas. It also requires a high level of customer interaction and follow-up communications to maintain SLA and satisfaction levels.Responsibilities and Required Skills
- Understand backup and recovery principles, disaster recovery, and backup storage.
- Monitor the overall health of identified systems, networks, and backup environments.
- Monitor the overall internal and customer backup environment, including job success/failure, storage requirements, and job performance. CommVault experience is a plus.
- Monitor problem or change tickets and respond to them in an effective method to include troubleshooting, escalating to next-level support, and communication to customers.
- Troubleshoot failed CommVault backup jobs, restart jobs, and create restores per customer requests.
- Collaborate with senior staff and vendors to work through and solve issues.
- Understand server operating systems, applications, and services to be able to monitor them for uptime and troubleshooting.
- Manage capacity to ensure that all jobs, new and existing, have adequate space to run effectively.
- Perform root-cause analysis and assist in improving the perceived and actual reliability of backups and systems.
- Generate reports, particularly from CommVault, on a regular basis, format the output, and share with customers; effectively communicate the reports’ contents.
- Work closely with the team’s storage experts to resolve backup storage-related issues.
- Configure and administer tape and disk libraries along with other components of the backup systems.
- Have a working knowledge of IP network LANs, including DNS and DHCP services, and IP WANs; perform basic connectivity troubleshooting.
- Rotating on-call availability is required.
- Have a working knowledge of NAS and block storage platforms (EMC storage preferred: VNX, XtremIO, VMAX, VPLEX, etc.).
- Experience working with CommVault CommServe server and Media Agents via CommCell console.
- Familiar with Cisco UCS.
- VMware basic skills.
- MS Windows Server skills: WSUS, Windows patching, Active Directory administration.